YOUR SKIN TYPE
Defining your skin type can be complicated.
Your skin may change with age, in response to an event/climate/environment factor or be a combination of types/tones.
Remember, the biggest factor in skin health is from the inside out (foods we eat, stress, etc.).
Sensitive Skin: use the guide below to find what type you are overall and keep in mind that all products need to be light, non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores) and free of chemicals and perfumes. Always.
Combination Skin: use the guide below to define what areas belong to which type. It is worth treating each area of your face independently.
Dry, Scaling, Itching
- If you use a mask that dries, consider mixing it with a carrier oil like Olive Oil
- Use oils that mimic sebum like Jojoba oil and Olive oil
- Take shorter showers with warm vs hot water
- Use only soaps that do not lather (or lather little)
- Blot skin versus wiping skin
- Wear an all natural lip balm
- Use skin products without perfume, alcohol, retinoids or alpha hydroxy acid
- Use a Hypoallergenic laundry detergent
- Add a humidifier
- Apply facial serum on wet skin, maybe multiple times a day
No Sensitivities, Hydrated, No Visible Pores
- Be sure to wash twice a day, use natural ingredients and exfoliate weekly.
- Never rub or pull on skin, especially under the eyes.
- Use an eye cream, especially before wrinkles appear. Aging skin loses natural oil production here first.
- Daily hydrate the declitage area (under chin and neck to chest). This is the most neglected area and the first place to show signs of aging.
- Protect your skin from the sun.
- Use a warm water rinse for cleansing as not to shock pores.
- Use minimal makeup with ingredients that may not cause blemishes but do cause damage.
Oily/Shine, Blemishes, Large Pores
- Use clay masks weekly to clean out excess oils and hardened oil/sebum blockages
- Use light oils that mimic sebum so your skin doesn’t need to produce so much
- Take shorter showers with warm versus hot water
- Avoid over-washing your face
- Avoid heavy cosmetics
- Use an all natural clay powder to manage oil during the day
- Use unscented skin products
- Keep it simple, our skin reacts by producing oils to purge foreign intruders
- Avoid SD alcohol and denatured alcohol
- Avoid products with a tingle like menthol and mint
ALL SKIN TYPES
All skin types benefit from the following routine:
Cleanse your face twice a day
- Wash in the morning to remove all the junk your skin purged overnight when in repair mode.
- Wash at night to remove makeup and/or the impurities from the day (sweat, sebum, free radicals, etc.).
- Use a gentle cleanser designed for your skin type.
- Rinse using warm water, as not to shock pores.
- If you are using a daily exfoliator like a loofah, use it very, very gently.
Hydrate clean skin
- Use all natural ingredients, also derived naturally (not chemically bleached, etc.). This is food for your skin.
- Be aware, if water is an ingredient in a product, then there are a multitude of chemicals to guard it from bacteria (these are drying and possibly toxic).
- Use a serum and skip the filler ingredients. A serum is a concentrated formula so only active ingredients nourish deep (like our facial serums).
- Our skin produces oils to maintain its cell lifecycle, so using a quality oil effectively communicates with skin.
Exfoliate/Mask once a week
- Exfoliate gently for your skin type, masks are not one size fits all.
- Don’t leave masks on until fully hardened, 10 minutes max avoids over-drying.
- Hydrate immediately after a mask, skin redness is normal as blood rushes to the surface.